If you are good in writing, accounting or if you are a web programmer, a software developer, looking for web design jobs, or just simple data entry, oDesk is the place to find work. Compared to Adsense which is really a wastage of time.
You can start earning by making a profile of yourself on oDesk, give a oDesk ready test and start bidding for the projects. Getting hired on oDesk is a bit daunting task but you can pursue the following guidelines to make it an easy one.
1- Your oDesk Profile
- Ensure that you choose your screen name wisely. Stay away from the cutsie names like PuddinPie4856, and socially inappropriate names (use your imagination). Pick something short and to the point.
- Upload your picture, if you don't have a nice one then better dont put it or use someone else. Photo increase the chances of getting the project.
- Choose your skills wisely and focused on your area of expertise. Avoid, for example, choosing data entry as a skill, when what you really want is a web design job.
- Keep your hourly wage low in the beginning as you are a new comer.
- Everyone has to take a standard proficiency test to be able to work through oDesk. This test is not difficult, but must be passed before you can be available to work. There are numerous optional tests that will showcase your abilities. Take as many of these as you can. If you score well, the scores will be displayed on your profile page. Lots of high scores are very attractive to buyers. Here’s a hint: Open a second browser window while you are taking a test. You can then search for answers when you get stuck.
2-Applying For a Job on Odesk
- Bid low and competitive for all projects to increase chances of getting hired. Tip: You can also setup your brothers or sisters profile and bid for the projects again from their profiles at different rates
- Do read the job application and its requirements properly
- See that your cover letter is free from grammatical errors and that you also provide samples of your relevant work
- Write your Skype Id with your cover letter
- Keep communication open
- Read feedback provided by previous contractors
- Only bid for projects where the employers have oDesk verified payment method
- Many employers don't prefer giving upfront payments
- Keep a friendly and professional demeanor
3- While On Job
- Keep Communication open until the job is complete. If the buyer stops responding to emails then stop working
- Never accept work outside of oDesk from an oDesk buyer unless he is from the same country and can send you payments through low cost domestic money transfer services
- Never make arguments with your employer on payment, you can see his payment history by reading the feedback provided to him by previous employers
- As in any job where boss rules, the same is the case with the oDesk employers
- Be prepared to work, and work hard.
Finally, Payment Withdrawal
Wire Transfer in PKR is the cheapest way of withdrawing funds to your bank account from oDesk wallet. You can receive oDesk payments from all major Pakistani banks. The first withdrawal is free of cost but there is a charge of almost $4.99 per withdrawal from the second time.
See you on oDesk!